Lasagna with Smoked Mozzarella + Cheddar
2x bottles tomato passata
2 cups cooked brown lentils
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed(optional)
1 carrot, finely chopped
3 bay leaves
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2tsp dried oregano
2tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp chopped capers
salt+pepper to taste
1tbsp brown sugar
80g vegan butter or flavourless coconut oil
7tbsp plain flour(gf optional)
1.5 liter soy or other plant milk
3tbsp yeast flakes(optional)
½ tsp salt or to taste
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1. Pre-heated to 180 degrees celcius. Lasagne has a much better texture after cooking down and setting completely, so it is recommended you make this the day before, or at least in the morning before serving.
2. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or heavy base pot, fry the celery and carrot with the bay leaves and garlic for 3-5 minutes. Add the passata, herbs, capers, salt pepper and sugar, cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add lentils and leave to cook for another 5-10 minutes.
3. In the meantime, make the béchamel sauce. Heat the butter/oil, whisk in the flour and cook for 1 or 2 minutes. Turn the heat right down. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. After all the milk is added, add the seasoning and bring to boil slowly. Cook while stirring for a few minutes until it thickens. Next, grate the Cheddar and Smoked Mozzarella.
4. Get an oven proof dish, cover the base with lasagna sheets (break sheet in half if necessary), Cover with 1/3 of the tomato ragu, followed by 1/3 of the béchamel. Spread some of the grated cheese over, and start another layer of pasta sheets. Repeat twice, so you have 3 layers. End up with a more generous amount of American Cheddar and Smoked Mozzarella. Cover in aluminium foil and put in the oven for about 40 minutes.
5. Take the foil off and check with a knife that the pasta is cooked through. If it’s still very tough, leave a bit longer with the foil cover. When cooked, take the foil off and leave for another 10-15 minutes for the cheesy surface of the lasagna to get some colour. Use the grill function if you’re impatient.
6. Serve with a nice fresh and simple Vinaigrette salad.
Serves 4-6 People